- Few cities in the United States can boast the caliber or variety of outdoor opportunities found in Portland. Tucked amid lush folds of the Willamette Valleybounded by the snow-capped volcanoes, old-growth forests, and the Columbia Riverthe region has long attracted residents with a keen appreciation for the great outdoors.
- Three great rivers within three hours of Portland—the Deschutes, Metolius, and Crooked Rivers—offer excellent opportunities year-round to catch nice fish.
- Between the wilderness areas, national forests, and state parks there is no lack of opportunities for backcountry camping around Portland. Groups seeking a car-camping experience should check out Eagle Creek Campground, a perfect base camp for hiking forays up Eagle Creek and Ruckle Ridge trails. For coastal camping, sample primeval coastal rain forest at Oswald West State Park, and for riverside camping just a short drive from the city visit Oxbow Park.
- Two full-day scenic drives leading from the city typify some of the classic scenery of this region. Heading east, the Columbia River Gorge Historic Highway passes some of the most spectacular waterfalls and overlooks along the river and encompasses a loop around Mount Hood. Driving west, the Oregon Coast Drive, involves a long loop through the Willamette Valley and through the Coastal mountain range with the prime attraction being miles of winding road along the Pacific Ocean.
Portland Travel Q&A
- 1 Answer
- Can I navigate my 42' power boat from Portland to Lewiston?
Are there locks and dams to be aware of? How swift is the current? How deep is the river?
Asked on January 28, 2012 by Ed | 38 views
- Answer this
In and Around Town (0 to 25 miles)
Day Trips (25 to 150 miles)
Top Parks & Public Lands within 25 to 150 miles
Overnighters & Long Weekends (150 to 300 miles)
Top Parks & Public Lands within 150 to 300 miles
Articles & Advice on Portland
- The Oregon Trail
- An historic journey between the Oregon Coast and Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Portland Area Hikes
- Urban Rivers: Southwest and Far West